- In winter, install snow tires; not all weather radials.
- Change your oil. Different temperatures may require different oils.
- Have a mechanic check tire pressure, heater, brakes, defroster and thermostat.
- Keep plenty of fuel in your vehicle, and keep windshield washer fluid on hand.
- Winterize your car's emergency kit. Include booster cables, windshield scraper, spare tire, jack and wrench, blankets, reflective flags, salt. Try to carry a cell phone for winter road trips, and food and water for long trips.
- If hail is in the forecast, put your car in a garage if possible.